Excel Services 2010 “An error has occured, Please try again”

So suddenly the sample Excel Services (SharePoint 2010 BI Site) workbook stopped working. One blog suggested verifying that “Excel Calculation Services” may need to be started. Central Admin had it running and everything looked fine, but I restarted the service just to be sure. After looking at the logs, there were no errors as well. We have a second app server that is also running Excel services and again, everything looked fine. However, when I restarted the service on second app server, everything started working. The moral of the story, stop and restart the Excel Calculation Services on both (any farm server where it’s running) for a quick troubleshooting step. This may save you a few gray hairs :).

***** Follow up on this tip, it seems that the issue is only temporarily fixed by restarting the service, still researching this issue. Any comments or feedback is appreciated ******

Update: 11/15/2010 Event log indicated unable to write to cache folder, even though app pool account was an Administrator on the box. Ended up re-provisioning a new Excel Services Application, then deleting. This must have updated some kind of provisioning issue during install. All works fine.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: